Monday, March 11, 2013



   The Worm......  My love of worms stared as a child. I remember looking for Nightcrawlers a.k.a Earthworms (The names alone are fabulous enough) for fishing. The best time to gather worms is after a rainstorm. My siblings and i would get up early, gather worms, tie some fishing line to a stick and head for the nearest fishing hole. I found the process of baiting the hook with worms nauseating and quickly switched to small pieces of cheese.
    I started drawing this worm character a couple of years ago. I like to think of these worms as anthropomorphic. They can be sweet or terribly awful. The sweet worms (like the ones that live in my compost) remind me of the innocence of childhood, while the awful ones take on negative connotations and conjure up images of greedy, non caring, individuals who, i am grateful, do not live in my back yard. Sometimes the worms can double as a tongues and other times they can unintentionally become penises. The latter made me want to stop drawing them, but they are just so cute and i kinda enjoy it when an image has multiple meaning. Of course most people see them as phallic, but that just says more about the viewer  than the artist, or does it?
 
 
  Oh my it's 7:22,  time to get into the studio. The early bird catches the worm.

No comments:

Post a Comment