Wednesday, March 6, 2013


   All the work is done for my upcoming show at The Brunswick in May. The worms, bears, cats, bats and others are very excited about being shown soon. I have been working with 10 x10 in and 6 x 6 in squares, thinking of them as boxes. Artists are often asked to think "outside the box", to come up with innovative work that may influence or express ideas in new ways. The term is almost as nauseating to me as the word juxtapose, both are overused in the art world. Regardless, i have rejected what is inside the box for so long that the opposite, thinking inside the box, is what interests me now. Living as an outsider has it's advantages, ignoring social norms is a lot of fun but, as i get older, i find the inside of the box enticing.
   Home ownership puts me in a box. I started this series a year ago when my husband and i bought our first house. Owning a home with my own studio keeps me in a box that i enjoy very much. .
   That's  enough writing for today. I am off to go throw pots in a muddy box across town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment